quarta-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2008

Sesame Street

This title must be a bit awkward, but don't go away, it is actually about that TV show we all watched - I thought everyone did - when we were kids.

I am living with two persons from Eastern countries: one from Lithuania and the other from Romania. There is no one else living with us, which means that I am the only person from a western country.

I traveled a bit, across Europe and I met many, many people from abroad. People coming from such different countries such as Turkey and Finland. And somehow there are some bonds that unite us. One of those bonds are the TV shows one used to watch as a small child.

Everyone I know(well, not anymore), and I mean everyone, knows Sesame Street! It doesn't matter if a person is 8 or 80! It was something that cut deep into our culture(s). If a 70 year old person knows it, probably it isn't because he/she watched it, but his/hers grandchildren did... It is a mark for millions of children across the world.

My point is that I felt really confused when I started to talk like the (everlasting) cookie monster and they asked what was it! I felt like a car hit me. not knowning cookie monster?that is heresy! that is outrageous. that is having a pointless childhood...(too dramatic, here!=P)

What I mean is the fact that when living abroad with people from culturally distant countries, it is very hard to be understood. Jokes don't make any sense, "do you remember this cartoons or this movie", which is usually used to break the ice and start a conversation it's almost useless! But, it also works on the opposite way! For I never watched Vinni Puh - Soviet version of Winnie the Pooh.





For those who didn't watch any of these shows. For those who watched both. For those who just watched one of them.

Crazy world we live in!

Hadet bra

P.S.- The soviet Winnie The Pooh a.k.a. Vinni Puh is far much cooler than the Disney one!

3 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

How about horror films? Your choice of torture tools to break the ice??? >:D

Cookie Monster will eventually die of obesity..and you see, Elmo constantly bleeds...how did he die again?

Anónimo disse...

ammmm, Vinnie Pooh ;) I have never seen that - maybe my parents have ;) I need to ask them.. Russian language for sure, but I wanted to know which exactly countries it is popular in? In Bulgaria it is not - it was popular No, Pogodi! (a rabbit and a wolf) - smth like Tom and Jerry :D but soviet one :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=P4ykW4EihuU -> check this :D

Tangerina disse...

OH MY GOD!!! dont know sesame street?! =(
how did they learn wich side is right or left? or the colors, and all the letters?! (even when we were to young to know how to write)
oh well, crazy world indeed! =D
cheers mate *