domingo, 24 de fevereiro de 2008

Family Values


Skiing is not a common activity in Portugal, I wonder why... And, therefore, everything related to it, is something new for me!
Here it's a natural and a family practice, deep rooted in the nordic traditions and culture. It is not a mere sport, it's a family tradition! This people are "born with skis on their feet"(norwegians on Skiing)

Yesterday, a sunny February Saturday, in order to practices some ski, I went out, enjoying myself for 32kms. It was a very pleasant experience. All the snow around, the sky Christal clear, everything still...
After some kilometers, skiing almost without seeing no one, I arrived to Skramstadsætra ( I presume I wrote something about that place before). There and after, the place was over crowded! Dozens of people were skiing, alone or with their families. When I say families, it is the WHOLE family from grand parents to grand children, all included! From 4 to 80 years old, everyone is invited!

It is really funny to see all these small children dressed with this THICK monkey suits and wearing this tiny little skis on their feet! The funniest is when they fall! They look like small potato bags falling on the floor! Hillarious!

One of the most frustrating thing about learning to ski in such an early age is that when I am skiing uphill, tired as hell, this 12years old kid runs through me and I can't compete with his pace! The same happens with old people! They are too fast for me!

But soon, this portuguese will be skiing as good as they do! Trust me!=)

Hadet bra!

Yesterday statistics:
kilometers going up: 16
kilometers going down: 16,3
kids I ran over:1
old people faster than me:300,000
kids faster than me: 9,000,000
times with the face on the floor:3
times with the ass on the floor: 50,000
times on the floor, because I couldn't break, when this group of old people was going up, when I was going down: 1 worth for 10,000

When a snow roof falls...
At the top
At the top II

4 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Sem dúvida,que parece mesmo aquele episódio em que o Ruca aprende a esquiar om a mãe!A roupa do Ruca é quase igual(a do ruca é mais bonita!) à roupa desse miúdo!
Estás pró a esquiar!Qd voltares para cá, já te disse que vais ser o mais rápido a desceres a Serra do Caramulo!

Anónimo disse...

aw i can imagine that.. 'a small bag of potatoes' when they fell over! what would Narcisso look like when he falls? hehehe. you're not born with skis on feet but i'm sure they're growing out of yours now! keep skiing. ;-)

Unknown disse...

amigo!! tu vais ser o abominável mais abominável dos Abomináveis Homens da Neve, que como sabes abominam descendo as montanhas nos seus skis brancos como a neve, daí eles chegarem tao rápido como desaparecem, mas as vantagens sao inumeras entre as quais, usando skis podem abominar muito mais gente!!! é a loucura na montanha! por isso continua a abominar essas quedas que um dia irás abominar em grande estilo (entenda-se sem cair!! loool!!)

abraço!!

Lord of Erewhon disse...

Enjoy... do not believe in miracles, though... :)