sexta-feira, 22 de fevereiro de 2008

Evenstad...


Deep in the heart of Hedmark, in the middle of the taiga forest, in a valley between the hills there is one place, one special place called Evenstad...

If you think you have been far away from everything, that's because you have never been there! I though that Rena was far away, but this village, inhabited by no more than 200 people, is absolutely in the middle of nowhere!

Located between two mountains, there is a river that crosses the valley, which is covered in ice and snow, by this time of the year. Everything is white, everything is still, everything is silent.

In the middle of this "nowhereness", there is a campus from the University I am attending, here! It has only 120students!!! The impression one has is that such a small community is no more than a bug norwegian family!

I started to visit this place, because I have a course in Norwegian language, up there! And learning norwegian is the least thing one can do, in such a remote place!
At first sight, there is nothing to do, in such a place! Just snow, trees and hills! however, these are the magic ingredients to amuse the most bored soul on this world and the other!
Yesterday, we were invited to go up to the hills and spend our day like norwegians do! Fire was set in a hole in the snow, where we were grilling sausages and eating Lumpa (special norwegian bread, pancake like bread). It must be said that on this "hole", more than 10 people could stay inside! Some studentsdug it for us! These students, I must say were the fittest people I've ever seen! I believe if they were dropped in the middle of a forest for 3 weeks, they wouldn't starve, get hungry or have a bad time, since forest is their home! I was really impressed!

After some time playing with snow and sledging we(me and other foreign students) were invited to spend some time at a cabin. Have you watched those movies, where people go to Alaska, in the middle of nowhere and there, they find the coziest house, with fireplace, drinking tea and stuff? OK, it was just like that! A scenery out of a movie!
By night time we had to leave such a beautiful place, but the will to a very nice night of sleep there was very strong!

Lucky me, I am going there every week!

Hadet bra!

A look into the valley.
The "hole".
Good times at the cabin.

2 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

I ENVY YOU :D I hope you will learn some Norwegian ;) finally :P

Anónimo disse...

Lucky you, yeah. It keeps getting better and better, even in the middle of SNOWhere! ;-]